Registered Dietician, founder of Nutrition Stripped and leading wellness coach in mindful nutrition, McKel Kooienga believes that creating healthy eating habits is one of the most important skills you can give yourself for your overall well-being.
We always hear that eating our vegetables, in particular greens, are beneficial for our health, but why are greens good for us?
"These plants should make up the bulk of your plate – the more, the better!"
Their fiber and water content help to keep you full and provide your body with the nutrients you need to support healthy digestion.
So the next time you look at your plate, bowl, or smoothie container, try to squeeze in as many greens and vegetables as you can and have access to.
Here are a few ideas to help you get creative and add more greens into your diet:
1) Add to wraps and sandwiches (like spinach, alfalfa, or parsley)
2) Load them up in pasta dishes (like tomatoes, artichoke hearts, carrots)
3) Add them to pizza as a topping (like broccoli or sprouts!)
4) Add as a garnish (use alfalfa and broccoli sprouts for garnish and a nutrient punch)
5) Add frozen or fresh to any stir-fry meal (like carrots, tomatoes, broccoli)
6) Use heartier greens like kale, romaine, chard, and collard as wraps
"An easy and delicious way to get the nutrients from greens"
Another question to simply ask yourself during meal times is “how can I boost the greens or vegetables in this meal?”. If you have extra vegetables on hand, then add those to your plate, otherwise, an easy and delicious way to get the nutrients from greens is to supplement your diet and add in a scoop of Greens Blend. One scoop of Greens Blend Original is 2 full servings of greens, fruits, and veggies and is a convenient way to get the whole food nutrition your body needs. Learn more about the benefits here. Add Greens Blend® Antioxidant by Amazing Grass® to squeeze in the greens, superfoods, fruits, herbs, and spices to support fighting free radicals. In just one scoop, there’s one full serving of fruits and veggies + 15,000 ORAC units in a delicious Sweet Berry flavor!